Re: bug#613: 23.0.60; Unicode display problems

From: sand
Subject: Re: bug#613: 23.0.60; Unicode display problems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:11:54 -0700

Kenichi Handa writes:
> In article <address@hidden>, Torsten Bronger <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > finding a font for: (8220)
> > ftfont-list: -unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-*-iso10646-1:script=symbol
> > list: -unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-*-iso10646-1:script=symbol
> [...]
>
> Now I see what is wrong.  Dejavu Sans Mono lacks some of
> charaters (#x201C #x2200 #x2500) to be used as `symbol'
> font, so the other arbitrary font that contains all of those
> characters are selected.  This setting was added by the
> request in the attached mail, but it seems that the
> restriction is too strong for symbol fonts.  So, I deleted
> that restriction.  Please try again with the latest CVS code.

Removing the symbol restrictions will allow Emacs to pick (incorrect)
ISO8859-1 fonts for these characters again.  Have you changed
something in the C code to prevent that?

Looking at the DejaVu Sans Mono glyphs in "gucharmap", it appears that
#x2200 is the problem.  The #x201C, #x2200, #x2500 combination was an
attempt to find "representative" symbol codepoints, but that
combination isn't all-or-nothing.  Can you first try leaving just
#x201C in `script-representative-chars'?  That's LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION
MARK, so it should have wide coverage.

Derek