Re: [Emacs.app dev]: ghost cursor problem is still there

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: [Emacs.app dev]: ghost cursor problem is still there
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:17:17 -0400

On Aug 21, 2008, at 11:51 AM, David Reitter wrote:

On 21 Aug 2008, at 09:16, Adrian Robert wrote:

I can. After startup, select a row of text, click onto another application, then back. I don't know if this was there before the patch.

I checked, it was not. In addition the patch introduces the following bug: the cursor is not changed to hollow box from block when focus on the frame is taken away.

This turned out to be the same, simple to fix bug.

OK, this fixes the bug for switching between two frames. However w/ only one frame active, clicking to another app does not switch to a hollow box. In addition, a ghost cursor can be generated if the cursor is on some text, then you click at the bottom of the buffer after focus is given. (But the same recipe fails for multiple frames, even when switching to another app instead of the other frame.) I believe these are enough clues to indicate the ghost cursor problem relates to a suite of focus-handling changes in core emacs that came in between rc2a and rc3, but were never fully sync'ed up with from the NS side. Seiji Zenitani also mentioned something about this a while back.

I will try to allocate a block of time to look at it this this weekend, but if someone else can take a look / a crack at it before then, I (and I'm sure other users) would be grateful. The relevant functions (maybe best to look at w32term.c, not xterm) are x_new_focus_frame, x_detect_focus_change et al., while under NS there are currently -windowDidBecomeKey, -windowDidResignKey.

-Adrian