Re: Problems building CVS Emacs on Windows XP using MinGW

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problems building CVS Emacs on Windows XP using MinGW
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:05:46 +0300

> From: Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:05:08 -0700
>
> This sounds depressingly similar to the problem I reported here:
>
>         http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/100565
>
> I never got a solution to it, although my message started a flame war.

The _real_ problem is not the flame war, but the fact that you and
Francis are so far the only ones who see these failures.  Quite a few
people, including myself, use MinGW to build the CVS all the time, and
this problem never happened to us.

Your report was about Vista, so I thought it was specific to that OS,
to which I have no easy access.  Francis had this on XP, which is an
important piece of new information.  So I'm now wondering what is
special on your two machines that causes these failures.

Here are a few questions, for starters:

 . What are your development tools and their versions?  Please include
   version information about MinGW itself (from its header files), w32
   API package, versions of GCC, Binutils, any sh.exe you may have
   installed, Make, and the cp.exe and rm.exe used for the build.

 . Do you use any Cygwin or MSYS tools for the build, and if so, what
   are they?

 . Does the problem happen in byte compiling _any_ file, or just with
   some?  If the latter, please list a dozen files that have this
   problem and post the corresponding error messages.

 . Is the byte-compiling problem still there after you build Emacs
   using *.elc files produced on another system or by another version
   of Emacs?