Re: Cocoa Emacs

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Cocoa Emacs
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:56:37 -0400

On Aug 22, 2008, at 7:39 AM, David Reitter wrote:

On 21 Aug 2008, at 21:59, Adrian Robert wrote:

... Emacs expects to find the DOC

"make install"

"make" seems to update the binary within nextstep/Emacs.app, but also increases the version number, which is why the new DOC is expected. It would be sensible to leave Emacs.app in a consistent state, either way, i.e. produce the new DOC and (!!) delete the previous DOC.

I've always found this version number increase puzzling and annoying, but imagine it has some purpose. My current solution is to run a script like this whenever I want to rebuild:

#!/bin/sh
rm -f ../etc/DOC-* emacs-*
make -j3

If anyone wants to try to amend the Emacs.app build process to do something less hackish I heartily welcome the effort.