Re: auto-refresh TAGS file on ChangeLog mod?

From: David House
Subject: Re: auto-refresh TAGS file on ChangeLog mod?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:28:53 +0100

2008/8/25 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
> Thanks for clarifying.  That's something I did not consider.  It's
> probably easier to just have a Makefile that will track those
> dependencies automatically.  Actually, what I think may be appropriate
> is just a way to say "make tags" before running `find-tag'.  All the
> extra intelligence is just duplicating what the user already has in the
> Makefile, and what Make provides.  WDYT?

I think this is a good idea, as long as `make tags' is cheap, i.e., as
long as it only recalculates tags for the files which have changed.
This will require changes to etags as I described above, which Tom
says he's implemented.

Of course, the external command to run should be configurable, so
people could just call "find *.c | etags -", or use make if they
require more complicated dependency tracking, etc.

--
-David