Re: auto-refresh TAGS file on ChangeLog mod?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: auto-refresh TAGS file on ChangeLog mod?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:44:02 -0600

Ted> It's probably easier to just have a Makefile that will track
Ted> those dependencies automatically.  Actually, what I think may be
Ted> appropriate is just a way to say "make tags" before running
Ted> `find-tag'.  All the extra intelligence is just duplicating what
Ted> the user already has in the Makefile, and what Make provides.
Ted> WDYT?

The reason I did not do this is that I basically only work with
non-srcdir builds.  So, I would need to write code to tell Emacs how
to find the proper build directory from the source directory (which
for me is usually guessable -- though on occasion I work with multiple
builds from a given source).  Given that I wanted a "no fuss" setup, I
ruled this out.

The "work only from the source tree" approach does have one
disadvantage, which is that generated source files are not tagged.  In
practice I didn't mind sacrificing this -- I rarely need to look at
those files anyhow, and instead I tend to set up etags to tag the
original sources to the extent possible.

Finally, running make can do a lot more than just rebuild the TAGS
file.  It might re-run configure, rebuild all the Makefiles, etc.

Tom