Re: svn and smerge-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: svn and smerge-mode
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:46:07 -0400

> With Emacs 23.0.60, visiting a file with conflicts under SVN control
> puts it into smerge-mode.  I think this is too prescriptive.  On the
> few occasions that I need to resolve conflicts I do it by hand and
> I've lost information trying to use smerge-mode.  If someone wants
> smerge-mode they can easily turn it on.

The intention of smerge-mode is to be "out of the way" as much
as possible.  Now admittedly, it's not perfectly so, but rather than
leave it off by default or provide a config var for it, I'd rather fix
the problem you encountered.

Basically, the only effect of turning on smerge-mode should be to
highlight the conflicts with font-lock (as long as you don't use the C-x
^ prefix, obviously).  So which part of smerge-mode annoys you?
And more importantly, which part caused you to lose information?

        Stefan