Re: Dynamic loading

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:37:10 -0400

    Sure, but if no GMP code is actually copied *by the distributor* then
    it's very hard to argue that the distributor has violated the GPL (this
    is something Richard referred to earlier).

Sometimes we can still argue that it is a violation, but it would be a
different kind of issue and the case is not so clear.

    That also happened with readline, of course.  The BSD community has
    a similar library under BSD license (called libedit, I believe).

("Under BSD license" is ambiguous; it is best always to say which one.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html.)

That is true now, but there was a long time when readline had no
compatible replacement.  At that time, anything designed to call
readline was certainly meant to be linked with GNU readline.

    However, I think the distributor of the Lisp package could probably
    argue that an Elisp package is data being processed, not part of
    Emacs.

That is true as regards the interpreter itself, and programming
constructs, but not as regards calling the editing-specific
application facilities of Emacs.