Re: svn and smerge-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: svn and smerge-mode
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:47:08 -0400

>> Basically, the only effect of turning on smerge-mode should be to
>> highlight the conflicts with font-lock (as long as you don't use the C-x
>> ^ prefix, obviously).  So which part of smerge-mode annoys you?
>> And more importantly, which part caused you to lose information?

> I just use it too infrequently to remember how it works.

> ISTR I lost my original working (.#) file trying to exit smerge-ediff.  It
> wasn't clear to me where the changes I had selected were going to end up (I
> thought I would need to save the *ediff-merge* buffer).  Even though I quit
> smerge-ediff without selecting any changes, I was told:

> Conflict resolution finished; you may save the buffer

> Evidently this actually only differed by the conflict markers,
> e.g.,"<<<<<<< filename" vs "<<<<<<< variant A").

> I thought that when I saved this buffer the original working was removed
> although I can't reproduce this now.

> In summary, smerge-mode seems to start off quite innocently but may lead you
> into places that you don't want to be.

So it sounds like a problem in the smerge-ediff code.  I never use(d)
that code, so it's not really a surprise.  If you can provide
a reproducible testcase, that would be very helpful, but otherwise just
give us as detailed a description as possible (e.g. what .#* file are
you talking about?).

        Stefan