RE: Emacs 22.2.91 pretest

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs 22.2.91 pretest
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:30:55 -0700

> >> No, the problem is not with IE, but with users who decide
> >> to use it.
> >
> > Does anyone actually _decide_ to use IE...?
>
> Depends on whether they are allowed to install an alternative,
> whether they know there are alternatives, and whether you
> consider awareness of the choice to be a necessary requirement
> for there to be a decision.
>
> In the case of Drew, the only excuse I could imagine is if
> he's working on a machine where he's not allowed to install
> an alternative.
>
>         Stefan "who has used IE several times in the past,
>                 but only ever to download PuTTY or Firefox"

I've ignored this silliness so far, but since Drew's use of IE seems to be
important to you, FWIW:

* I have several "alternatives" installed, including PuTTY and Firefox. And I
use them.

* I work in an environment where some of the intranet tools that I use work only
or best with IE. This is a reason (not an excuse) that I and thousands of others
who use those tools on that intranet use IE.

* In that same environment, however, I and others also use tools that work only
or best with Firefox or Thunderbird or any number of other browsers or mail
clients. So we use those as well. (Yes, this juggling can be inconvenient.)

* I happened to be using IE when I visited that GNU Emacs page. However, Firefox
in fact exhibits the same symptom in this case, at least for me: ^L shows as a
square box. So this minor problem is due not only to IE. Bad Firefox - go to
your corner.

* I don't need you to imagine excuses for me. But feel free, of course, to
imagine anything you like. ;-)

* I don't need you to excuse me, Father, for using IE. An ivory-tower,
holier-than-thou attitude has no effect on at least some of us in the fields
below who are not religious.

The use of non-"alternative" browsers and other tools might be a reality you
want to change, or perhaps even one that you ignore or whose existence you deny,
but it is currently a reality none the less.