Re: vc-git bug with top-level repositories

From: Mathias Megyei
Subject: Re: vc-git bug with top-level repositories
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:19:08 +0200

[Sorry, I forgot to CC emacs-devel in the previous mail]

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 11:52 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> That explains how you worked around VC's limitation, but I'd be
> >> interested to hear about how you ended up in a state where you bumped
> >> into VC's limitation.  I.e. how come your /foo/bar/ is owned by
> >> a different user than /foo/ even though they're both part of the same
> >> Git tree?
>
> > I'm not the OP but this will be the case in the workflow I'm
> > currently working on.
> > Two users will work in the same Git worktree.
>
> Care to explain why it's done this way?

We use this workflow in the layout generation process within the ASIC
development. Layout generation takes long time, often 3 or more month.
Two (or more) people are working together in the same tree on the same
database.
We have worked this way for years without any VCS. Now we introduce
Git for the layout generation process too. We will put the source code
(scripts, tool setup files, "design constraints", etc) under version
control.

> > User A creates the worktree /foo and works in the directory /foo/adir.
> > User B works in the directory /foo/bdir.
> > Both have umask 0002.
>
> I think VC will still work fine as long as the users don't create new
> directories.  But admittedly, it's brittle.

The users will create new directories, e.g. to try a different approach
with another set of scripts and alternative constraints.

IIUC the problem is, that Emacs cannot detect reliably which VCS is
being used.
Couldn't we tell Emacs by setting a variable which VCS we are using?
Because we don't plan to use any other VCS than Git I could add the
necessary code to the company wide site-start.el file.
I could even set a variable with the path to the Git repository.

Mathias