Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:17:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:58:08 +0200
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
>> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> Who said I do not want to customize my .emacs?
>
> If you do, then making this the default should not be so important for
> you.
>
> This is a new feature, introduced just recently; prudence would have
> it that we let the feature be used for some time before even thinking
> to make it the default.  Especially since at least some of us here do
> not share your enthusiasm for it.

In this case the new feature does not get in your way - unless of course
you are not used at all to using the Recycle Bin.

> Jason explained one harm.

The risk seems small to me on pc:s.

> Another one is that I like my disks have
> lots of free space, and don't expect deleted files to stay on them.

Yes, but do you really delete that many files from Emacs?

>> My impression is the opposite, that most well written w32 programs use
>> the Recycle Bin.
>
> If you define a ``well written program'' as a program that use the
> Bin, then I agree.  Otherwise, please give some examples of programs
> that do and those which don't, and tell why you think the former are
> more ``well written'' than the latter.

One of my personal favorites is that the programs should follow the UI
guidelines for what the user normally see. That includes both GUI and
behaviour.

If you from any program on w32 that did not write its own file handling
dialogs open the file dialog and delete a file there it will go to the
Recycle Bin.

An example of a program that does not behave this way is GIMP. It has
written its own file dialogs. In my opinion that is the bad part of GIMP.

And sadly that is the part that probably most reminds of the GUI you can
see on GNU/Linux. But please correct me if I am wrong.