Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:24:02 +0300

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:17:15 +0200
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> > This is a new feature, introduced just recently; prudence would have
> > it that we let the feature be used for some time before even thinking
> > to make it the default.  Especially since at least some of us here do
> > not share your enthusiasm for it.
>
> In this case the new feature does not get in your way - unless of course
> you are not used at all to using the Recycle Bin.

I'm used to be aware of the Recycle Bin and use it when I intend to.

> > Jason explained one harm.
>
> The risk seems small to me on pc:s.

That's why we have customization in Emacs: because some people's needs
are different from others'.

> > Another one is that I like my disks have
> > lots of free space, and don't expect deleted files to stay on them.
>
> Yes, but do you really delete that many files from Emacs?

I do everything from Emacs, even launch (God forbid!) Word.

> One of my personal favorites is that the programs should follow the UI
> guidelines for what the user normally see.

This is again a circular definition: we have no clear spec of ``what
the user normally see''.

> If you from any program on w32 that did not write its own file handling
> dialogs open the file dialog and delete a file there it will go to the
> Recycle Bin.

File deletion is not done only from dialogs.

> And sadly that is the part that probably most reminds of the GUI you can
> see on GNU/Linux. But please correct me if I am wrong.

As someone already said, most modern GNU/Linux desktops have a similar
feature.