Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:39:58 +0000

Hi, Drew and everybody else!

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:06:37AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > We are talking about Emacs here.  Emacs behavior was always that it
> > > deletes a file, not moves it somewhere.  So any change in that
> > > behavior _by_default_ will surprise Emacs users.

> > Then maybe a compromize could be to tell it in a prominent way so that
> > users have a good chance to notice it?

> I agree that it should be mentioned prominently.

> IIUC, `delete-by-moving-to-trash' works similarly on all platforms that
> have some sort of trash can (recycle bin) - is that correct? It's
> important that something like this be similar for all platforms.

> My preference is that this not be turned on by default - that is, keep
> the traditional Emacs behavior. But I recognize the counter arguments.
> The traditional behavior here is better for overall Emacs use, IMO, but
> I won't argue about it.

I submit this is a non-problem, and the non-solution is this: The first
time in an Emacs session somebody tries to delete a file, a request for
confirmation something like this should appear:

"You are about to delete one or more files permanently.  You will not be
warned again this session.  Type 'y' to delete the file(s), '!' to delete
the file(s) and suppress the warning for future sessions, or 'n' to abort
the operation.".

[ .... ]

> [BTW - I am astounded that Lennart, who is no newbie, just discovered
> the default behavior and doesn't use Dired much. I can't imagine using
> Emacs without Dired. Perhaps it's related to using Viper?]

Hah!  I don't use dired at all (except by accident, when I curse for
having to type C-x k to get rid of it).  I do file manipulation in a bash
session on a different virtual terminal.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).