Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: David House
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:43:06 +0100

2008/8/29 Drew Adams <address@hidden>:
> BTW - Question: if `delete-by-moving-to-trash' is non-nil, should Dired still
> ask you for confirmation for deletion? Dunno. Perhaps that could be a choice
> (separate values for `delete-by-moving-to-trash').

I think no -- I can't think of a system where you are asked whether to
perform some reversible operation (and I can't think of a reason why
you should be).

I still feel the best default is to send the file to trash without
asking any questions, then inform the user that this has happened.
(E.g. (message "File sent to trash folder %s" path-to-trash).) This
has the advantage that the default is reversible, so you don't have a
situation like Lennart's where a user doesn't find out about
`delete-by-moving-to-trash' until it's too late. The disadvantage of
taking up more hard drive space is also countered if we tell the user
we've sent it to trash -- if they're running low on disk space,
they'll know, and be able to change `delete-by-moving-to-trash'.

I would also accept a solution where the message informs the user how
to change the behaviour (e.g. (message "File sent to trash folder %s,
use M-x customize-variable RET delete-by-moving-to-trash RET to change
this behaviour" path-to-trash). But I think just including a reference
to that variable in the docstring of `dired-do-delete' is enough.

--
-David