Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Phil Jackson
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:59:30 +0100

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Why not try to take that up with the GNU/Linux developers?
>>
>> The simple answer is because the GNU/Linux (or rather, Unix in general)
>> architecture does not operate like Windows does with respect to this
>> tight level of integration.  Even getting the GNOME and KDE guys to use
>> the same place would not solve the problem
>
> They should come together and donate their common solution for trash can
> handling as something that comes with the system.

But who gets to decide what the 'system' is? I use a very basic tiled
window manager and no desktop environment. All of my file manipulation
happens in the shell or dired (whichever I'm nearest at the time). So,
do rm and emacs need to know about it? Does unlink() need to know about
it? The filesystem? The kernel itself?

One can make assumptions about a Windows system (like every user using
explorer.exe), but not really about a GNU/Linux system.

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Philip Jackson