Re: Regression in current trunk?

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Regression in current trunk?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:46:58 +0200

Well, with a binary search, here there are a few results:

cvs up -dP -D "20080829 09:50" builds and works fine with big file

cvs up -dP -D "20080829 09:55" fails to build

cvs up -dP -D "20080829 10:00" builds and shows the regression discussed
                               here

These changes seem the cause:

2008-08-29 Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>

       These changes are to re-implement the automatic composition so
       that it doesn't use text properties.

       * Makefile.in (ftfont.o): Depend on composite.h.
       (composite.o): Depend dispextern.h, font.h, frame, and window.h.

       * character.h (Vunicode_category_table): Extern it.
[...]

Attached the source differences.

Cheers,
   Angelo.

Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
The following happens on Cygwin, but perhaps it is general.

It happens also on GNU/Linux Kubuntu 8.04.1, and also with the trunk of
few minutes ago...

   Angelo

After that Eli fixed the status line [1], I did a new build and, really,
now the status line is OK.

But... I observe that Emacs is very slowly when one visit a big text
file (about 12M, the log of Cernlib build): it seems to hang when one
tries to move around up, down etc.. : for example, typing the down key,
it take about 1 second to move the cursor on the next line. It is almost
impossible to search (C-s) words.

If in addition I start also another Emacs, built a few days ago
(2008.08.22), and visit the same big file, it is very fast in moving
around: no delay in moving the cursor etc. To search words with C-s is
immediate.

Does it look as a regression?

Cheers,
   Angelo.