Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 03:16:14 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> It is yet only a draft though first published four years ago. (Wonder
> where we will be in this discussion four y from now?)

Bear in mind the fact it says 0.7 doesn't mean it is not widely used. in
this case the major desktop environments implement it.  I think
fd.o specs remain described as "draft" to avoid claiming to be some sort
of standards body...

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications
- I dunno what rule they have for moving a spec from
"draft specifications that are new" to "draft specifications
that have pretty good de facto adoption". Given the sheer number
of alternative free desktops, it probably takes a while... And in this
case, no doubt some desktops are developed by folk with an even lower
opinion of trashcans than me. :-)

IMO the optional-per-volume-trash-dir aspects are particularly iffy,
it's a bit of extra implementation complexity in a security sensitive
area for what is IMO quite a low-value feature these days. Could have
just left it at the "home trash" and put up with the occasional and
ever-less-relevant inefficiency. Plus there  may be ass-out-of-u-and-me
bits left out - it might "go without saying" not to make the per-user
per-volume subdirs world-writeable, but they don't seem to say it (or
maybe I missed it, I only skimmed the spec).