Re: print hash table to disk and reread in hash table

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: print hash table to disk and reread in hash table
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 04:17:54 -0500

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 07:18:07 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

t> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:10:11PM -0500, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
>> that has been posted to gnu.emacs.help as well.
>>
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:52:07 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
EZ> You mean, like bindat.el?

t> I don't know the context -- but I have been musing on and off about a
t> persistent hash (backed by something like GDBM), similar to what Perl
t> offers.

I was trying to serialize a hashtable to a file, and there's no good way
other than converting it to a list or making a file of (puthash)
statements.  bindat.el seems OK but doesn't seem to have a hashtable
spec in the format.

Persistent storage is useful and could easily be implemented with a
small sqlite database file.  It could be an option when creating a
hashtable.  It doesn't solve serialization, though.  The file is not
human-readable, which is the advantage of formats like the Gnus newsrc
file.  So it's not what I'm looking for, but still an useful addition to
Emacs IMO :)

Ted