Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:35:10 -0500

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 00:40:03 +0200, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
<address@hidden> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> You can't assume that a GNU/Linux graphical environment has anything
>> whatsoever to do with freedesktop.org.  At debconf earlier this
>> month, I raely saw anyone using the default GNOME/KDE environments --
>> and I personally use fvwm as a window manager, so there is no
>> trashcan -- thank goodness.

> Maybe it will soon be safe to think that the important GUI
> environments do have a trash can? (With a possibility to turn it off
> perhaps.)

        I am not at all sure that is a safe assumption. My phone does
 not have a trash can.  Indeed, none of the graphical user interfaces I
 have used in about 20 years of computing has _ever_ featured a
 trashcan, and I am not so sure I want to assume the future is
 necessarily different.

> And maybe it is a waste of time to develop too many GUI environments?

        Indeed. X10 was perhaps a mistake to go away from.

> Maybe it uses resources not only from those doing and using the extra
> GUI environments but also from all people trying to coordinate? And
> then there are all misunderstandings, miscommunications, discussions,
> extra development outside to cooperate (but that might on the other
> hand raise the need for standard interfaces).

        Nod. Diversity is bad. Conformity should be the goal. We shall
 all be assimilated.

        manoj
--
Though one were to live a hundred years without seeing the deathless
state, the life of a single day is better if one sees the deathless state.