Re: Sparse key maps garbage?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sparse key maps garbage?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 02:18:39 -0400

> If you do

>  (defvar my-sparse-map (make-sparse-keymap))
>  (define-key my-sparse-map [f4] nil)

> then there will be an entry with f4 in my-sparse-keymap. I do not think
> that is used for anything. Is it? Should it be there?

Actually, IIRC it's (been) used at some places to create a place holder
in the keymap which is later on replaced with the actual binding.
But I do wonder why you care,

        Stefan

PS: Some other issues have to do with the delicate treatment of nil
bindings w.r.t inheritance: a nil binding will hide any other binding in
the parent(s).