Re: [Patch] Behavior of dired when there already is a dired buffer of th

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: [Patch] Behavior of dired when there already is a dired buffer of the same directory
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:47:28 +0200

> I see no reason why the default should not be that the dired buffers are
> just refreshed (with an idle timer and a hook if the user tries to use
> them first).

For me, that would be very annoying. I often use Dired to open folders
on Windows network shares, shares that might be in remote locations.
Having Emacs auto refresh now and then would lock it up for several
seconds each time.

I have no problem hitting `g' once in a while.

Another case against it, maybe even a better one: If you are, like me,
using the toggle and kill commands in Dired buffers, maybe together
with % m and % g, you would be really angry if you lost a surgically
selected batch of files because the buffer was refreshed.