Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 15:19:41 -0400

Glenn Morris wrote:
Paul Michael Reilly wrote:

The pmail*.el and related files I created are temporary and pretty much only committed to the trunk as a convenience to make Rmail/mbox testable without having to use a branch so I didn't create a ChangeLog for these files.

After I work out with the maintainers when to inflict Rmail/mbox on all Users, the ChangeLog will be created.

This all seems rather odd. I assume you took the rmail-mbox-branch
(With some extra changes? It's unclear...), extracted the files that
actually differed from the trunk, and installed them into the trunk as
pmail*. Fair enough, this might indeed make it easier for people to
try out.

That certainly was the goal. Richard made a suggestion which I will implement shortly that automagically check for an existing Rmail/babyl formatted PMAIL file which it will then convert to mbox format. This will make trying out Pmail event easier.

I don't see why you wouldn't just take the existing ChangeLog from
that branch and install as ChangeLog.pmail, rather than instead
creating two odd directories with CVS info that I doubt anyone will
ever read...

Good idea. Done. I committed the info directories just because Rmail/mbox has a history of people working on it and then disappearing (including myself) for years at a time. So I wanted to have some mechanism, albeit temporary, to capture what was done and not done to bring Rmail/mbox up to date.

Thanks,

-pmr