Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:19:56 +0300

> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:30:49 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Is this the first time you built the CVS code?  If not, when was the
> last time you built it (and I presume saw no such slowdown)?

Assuming the slowdown started to happen lately, please see if it goes
away if you modify the code of the function `stat' to make this `if'
condition (on w32.c)

  if (!(NILP (Vw32_get_true_file_attributes)
        || (EQ (Vw32_get_true_file_attributes, Qlocal)
            && devtype != DRIVE_FIXED && devtype != DRIVE_RAMDISK))
      /* No access rights required to get info.  */
      && (fh = CreateFile (name, 0, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
                           FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, NULL))
         != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)

to always evaluate to zero, thus bypassing the code in the block that
follows the `if' clause and calls get_file_owner_and_group.