Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:41:58 -0400

I wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> [...] please see if it goes
>> away if you modify the code of the function `stat' to make this `if'
>> condition (on w32.c)
>>
>>   if (!(NILP (Vw32_get_true_file_attributes)
>>      || (EQ (Vw32_get_true_file_attributes, Qlocal)
>>          && devtype != DRIVE_FIXED && devtype != DRIVE_RAMDISK))
>>       /* No access rights required to get info.  */
>>       && (fh = CreateFile (name, 0, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING,
>>                         FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, NULL))
>>          != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
>>
>> to always evaluate to zero, thus bypassing the code in the block that
>> follows the `if' clause and calls get_file_owner_and_group.

> I changed the above condition to:
>
>    if (0)
>
> and rebuilt.  The resulting emacs.exe starts immediately (both "emacs
> -q" and "emacs -Q"), and there are no RPC calls made to any external
> host when Emacs is starting.

Eli,

Given that the root cause of this problem is a misconfigured firewall
that prevents the host from making RPC calls to its domain controller(s)
(or LDAP server(s) -- they may be the same on my company's network), I'm
not sure that any change to Emacs is needed.

Is this issue likely to bite other people?  Can we assume that the
Windows host has RPC access to its domain controllers and/or LDAP
servers?
--
Fran