Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:57:57 +0800

Francis Litterio wrote:
Is this issue likely to bite other people?  Can we assume that the
Windows host has RPC access to its domain controllers and/or LDAP
servers?

In the case of laptops, you can't assume the domain controller will always be there, but perhaps the failure happens more quickly in that case (in the firewall case, the system may have enough connectivity to the domain controller to not give up so easily). I haven't noticed such a long delay with my laptop disconnected from the company network (though I have noticed delays of around 10 seconds).