Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: CVS Emacs on Windows XP takes 60 seconds to start
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:04:30 -0400

Jason Rumney wrote:

> Francis Litterio wrote:
>> Is this issue likely to bite other people?  Can we assume that the
>> Windows host has RPC access to its domain controllers and/or LDAP
>> servers?

> In the case of laptops, you can't assume the domain controller will always be
> there, but perhaps the failure happens more quickly in that case (in the
> firewall case, the system may have enough connectivity to the domain
> controller
> to not give up so easily).
> I haven't noticed such a long delay with my laptop disconnected from the
> company
> network (though I have noticed delays of around 10 seconds).

Consider a Windows laptop that is a member of domain and that is plugged
into a LAN that does not contain its domain controllers (e.g., at a LAN
party, a friend's house, a customer site, etc.).  In that case, I
suspect Windows will try to make the RPC calls.  What I'm not sure of is
whether the RPC calls will fail quickly or timeout after ~60 seconds.

I'm not able to test this, because I only have access to one LAN (the
one where my domain controllers exist).
--
Fran