Re: ctrl:nocaps enables mark set?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: ctrl:nocaps enables mark set?
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 23:03:35 +0900

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué writes:
 > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 20:54, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
 > > "Aleix Conchillo Flaqué" <address@hidden> writes:
 > >
 > >> KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
 > >>     root 0x8b, subw 0x0, time 82422761, (109,-9), root:(113,36),
 > >>     state 0x6, keycode 66 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,
 > >            ^^^
 > >
 > > This is bad.  You have keycode 66 on both the control and lock modifier
 > > list.
 > >

 > I have reviewed my email and capslock has keycode 66 and ctrl has
 > keycode 37 both producing Control_L.

True.

The problem is that there is also a feature of the X server that it
maintains up/down state for certain keys because it is so common to
check for chords with those keys.  Specifically, the modifier keys.
As Andreas points out, your keycode 66 is in the list of modifiers as
BOTH a shiftlock key and a control key.  You need to fix the modifier
list, not the keysym definition, of the key corresponding to 66.

In-hopes-of-avoiding-flame-from-Andreas-who-really-knows-his-stuff-ly y'rs