Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:46:56 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
        address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:41:18 -0400

Rmail in Emacs 23 does work, and Pmail doesn't work well enough yet.
I can say that with assurance because I just tried it for a couple
of days.

What were the problems?  Can you please publish at least their
summary?

You make a persuasive case for using the bug tracking system. I don't suppose someone could create a "category" for lack of a better term to keep bug reports on Pmail, or tell me how I should do it if I even can?

In a nutshell, and off the of my head, the problems have been: pmail-output will not output to an Rmail/babyl file (not fixed); expunge would lose track of which message was the current message (fixed); message decoding works in Rmail but not in Pmail (this is the current big issue); reply did not correctly hide the X-BABYL... header (fixed); invisible headers become visible in unexpected ways, like when using regions operations on a message (not fixed) and various byte compiler issues (fixed). I'm sure that a few have been forgotten already but that should give you a feel for the issues.

By all means give it a try. You should be able to do so and seamlessly switch back to Rmail when you find a deal breaker, just make sure you preserve your inboxes when using Pmail.

-pmr