Re: `C-h f' doesn't show file where function comes from

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: `C-h f' doesn't show file where function comes from
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:02:22 +0900

>> When I start Emacs with
>>
>>   emacs -Q -l wid-edit
>>
>> and type
>>
>>   C-h f widget-button-press RET
> [...]
>> However, Emacs 23.0.60 shows:
>> widget-button-press is an interactive compiled Lisp function.
>>

>> (widget-button-press pos &optional event)
>>
>> Invoke button at pos.
>>
> [...]
>> The way of Emacs 23.0.60 is
>> inconvenient to me.  I need to evaluate (symbol-file 'FN) when I
>> want to know where the file providing the function definition is.

> Please try with the most recent CVS.  If the behavior you observe
> persists, please send a bug report with the following additional
> information: Your checkout directory, the directory where you built
> Emacs, and the directory where your Emacs is installed.

> Maybe I missed something here.

Thank you for the followup.  I tested it with Emacs that was
checked out from the CVS trunk this early morning (in Japan,
i.e., about 10 hours ago) and built with `make bootstrap'.  Are
the other informations necessary?  BTW, does the file name that
provides the `widget-button-press' function appear in the *Help*
buffer for the `C-h f' command in your system?

Regards,