Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:42:48 -0400

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> I proposed years ago that we extend Emacs to the point where it can
> function as a word processor.  This is mainly a matter of adding
> features that let you put things in a buffer (and save them in files)
> to get various kinds of formatting effects.  To display web pages is
> an even more distant goal; it requires MORE new buffer and display
> features.

That's assuming we rely on the Emacs redisplay engine.  The approach
being discussed in this thread is to embedding the output generated by
an external browser library in an Emacs window.

Basically, this involves being able to tell an Emacs window not to draw
the usual Emacs display, but to display the output from an external
process (an embedded browser process) instead.  I think it's very
feasible, assuming someone has the time to do it.  The bottleneck here
is manpower.

(Maybe this would be a good Google Summer of Code project).