Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 13:39:38 -0400

    > I proposed years ago that we extend Emacs to the point where it can
    > function as a word processor.

    It never struck me as an interesting goal: for one, we already have
    latex-mode for that (i.e. Emacs is the only tool I use for word
    processing, even more so now that I can display the resulting PDF with
    doc-view-mode),

It sounds like you are editing text with markup commands and viewing
the formatted results on the side.  Of course that works, but most
people prefer a word processor in which one edits the formatted text.
I proposed adding that capability to Emacs so that it would work in
the mode people generally want.

It looks like you are proposing a new feature which consists of
editing HTML and viewng the formatted results on the side.  Is that
correct?

It did not occur to me that that is what people were talking about,
because it doesn't seem like much of an advance.  If we want it, the
clean and simple implemenation is to run the browser in a separate
process.  It could do the display in a window provided by Emacs, or in
its own window.

Perhaps it could render the HTML into PDF and Emacs could display that.