Re: In CVS Emacs, calc-eval gives multiplication higher precidence tha

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: In CVS Emacs, calc-eval gives multiplication higher precidence than division
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:07:05 +0200

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Lennart> More seriously: Where do you get those rules from? The notation
>
> Lennart>   a b / c d
>
> Lennart> does not look like a standard math notation.
>
> You sound serious, or perhaps you've only seen math in the computer era.

No, I got my knowledge in that area from math. Of course there may be
different notation used in different math books, but for basic math
calculations with numbers I think you should use the standard notation
for just that.

If some algebra books use "simplified notation" the best thing to do
might be to burn them. There is no need to complicate things with
unneeded extra notations that makes it hard to read the books. Algebra
is not so much about that. (But of course, sadly enough I have seen
books using their own subfield notation.)

> What
> do you get when you run:
>
> a b \div c d
>
> through LaTeX?

I never use LaTeX so I do not know. But why do you refer to LaTeX here?