Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 05:22:24 -0400

    > It sounds like you are editing text with markup commands and viewing
    > the formatted results on the side.  Of course that works, but most
    > people prefer a word processor in which one edits the formatted text.

    Maybe most people do, but I'm not sure if most Emacs users do.

The aim is to make Emacs appeal to people that want to edit formatted
documents through word processing.  The existing users of Emacs who
like the current modes of operation could continue to use them.

Making Emacs a word processor is a matter of implementing additional
formatting features: representing them in the buffer, displaying them,
and saving them in files.

    No, I'm not suggesting any new feature, other than the fact that using
    something like XEmbed to let something like Firefox render web pages is
    a more promising direction than doing the whole rendering in Emacs.

I agree with you on that point.