Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:55:05 -0400

>> ... and as I pointed out to Stefan, for many users it would be
>> very convenient and would cause no harm to transcode the headers too.

> I could not chase down that message and I'm a little confused about
> transcoding headers to the extent that I understand them to be ASCII
> per rfc2822.  About the only way it would make sense to me to talk

He was simply suggesting to do away with strict rfc2822 compliance.
After all, it's common for email headers to contain latin-1 text without
encoding it with QP as it should.  Most MTAs will preserve this 8bit
info, and most MUAs will try and do something useful with it (like
assume it's encoded in the locale's favorite encoding).

It'd most likely be controlled by a config var, since it's useful but
somewhat dangerous.

        Stefan