Enhancement suggestion: prin1 extension mechanism

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Enhancement suggestion: prin1 extension mechanism
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:25:34 -0400

Hi all,

  CEDET uses EIEIO, which represents CLOS like objects as vectors.
These are used extensively in CEDET, and in particular as simple
databases with some potentially circular structure.

  I've used some hacks to override edebug's prin1 to replace these
objects with syntax like #<semanticdb-table foo.c (100 tags)>, or
#<FIND RESULTS (5 tags)> where the actual printed representation from
prin1 might take a minute or so to generate.  (Or, at least, longer
than I've been willing to wait during a debug session tonight.)
Fortunately, M-: prints a short form with large parts replaced with
"..."

  ielm doesn't have such a mechanism, other than me editing my copy of
ielm to use the edebug prin1 symbol.  I would expect there are other
situations I haven't bumped into yet.

  It would be handy to have a way for a tool which knows it will
create large data structures that usually only need to be referred to
by a simple name to do that via a prin1 configuration.  It may be that
ielm and tools like it use some intermediate layer that is extensible
instead.  That would be fine with me too.

  At the end, find a file that has my edebug modifications as a
suggestion for a possible style, plus some sample code using it.  (It
has a couple key bindings not related to this request too.)  This code
has already been assigned via the CEDET assignment so it is safe to
recycle if desired.

  The full usage is a part of cedet.  http://cedet.sf.net

Thanks
Eric
---------------------
;;; cedet-edebug.el --- Special EDEBUG augmentation code

;;;
;; Copyright (C) 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008 Eric M. Ludlam
;;
;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
;; any later version.
;;
;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;
;; along with this program; if not, you can either send email to this
;; program's author (see below) or write to:
;;
;;              The Free Software Foundation, Inc.
;;              675 Mass Ave.
;;              Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
;;
;; Please send bug reports, etc. to address@hidden

;;; Commentary:
;;
;; Some aspects of EDEBUG are not extensible.  It is possible to extend
;; edebug through other means, such as alias or advice, but those don't stack
;; very well when there are multiple tools trying to do the same sort of thing.
;;
;; This package provides a way to extend some aspects of edebug, such as value
;; printing.

;;; Code:
(defvar cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions
  nil
  "An alist of of code that can extend PRIN1 for edebug.
Each entry has the value: (CONDITION . PRIN1COMMAND).")

(defun cedet-edebug-prin1-recurse (object)
  "Recurse into OBJECT for prin1 on `cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string'."
  (concat "(" (mapconcat 'cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string object " ") ")"))

(defun cedet-edebug-rebuild-prin1 ()
  "Rebuild the function `cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string'.
Use the values of `cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions' as the means of
constructing the function."
  (interactive)
  (let ((c cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions)
        (code nil))
    (while c
      (setq code (append (list (list (car (car c))
                                     (cdr (car c))))
                         code))
      (setq c (cdr c)))
    (fset 'cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string-inner
          `(lambda (object &optional noescape)
             "Display eieio OBJECT in fancy format.  Overrides the edebug
default.
Optional argument NOESCAPE is passed to `prin1-to-string' when appropriate."
             (cond
              ,@(nreverse code)
              (t (prin1-to-string object noescape)))))
    ))

(defun cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string (object &optional noescape)
  "CEDET version of `edebug-prin1-to-string' that adds specialty
print methods for very large complex objects."
  (if (not (fboundp 'cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string-inner))
      ;; Recreate the official fcn now.
      (cedet-edebug-rebuild-prin1))

  ;; Call the auto-generated version.
  ;; This is not going to be available at compile time.
  (cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string-inner object noescape))

(defun cedet-edebug-add-print-override (testfcn printfcn)
  "Add a new EDEBUG print override.
TESTFCN is a routine that returns nil if the first argument
passed to it is not to use PRINTFCN.
PRINTFCN accepts an object identified by TESTFCN and
returns a string.
New tests are always added to the END of the list of tests.
See `cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions' for the official list."
  (condition-case nil
      (add-to-list 'cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions
                   (cons testfcn printfcn)
                   t)
    (error ;; That failed, it must be an older version of Emacs
     ;; withouth the append argument for `add-to-list'
     ;; Doesn't handle the don't add twice case, but that's a
     ;; development thing and developers probably use new emacsen.
     (setq cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions
           (append cedet-edebug-prin1-extensions
                   (list (cons testfcn printfcn))))))
  ;; whack the old implementation to force a rebuild.
  (fmakunbound 'cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string-inner))

;;; NOTE TO SELF.  Make this system used as an extension
;;; and then autoload the below.
;;;###autoload
(add-hook 'edebug-setup-hook
          (lambda ()
            (require 'cedet-edebug)
            ;; I suspect this isn't the best way to do this, but when
            ;; cust-print was used on my system all my objects
            ;; appeared as "#1 =" which was not useful.  This allows
            ;; edebug to print my objects in the nice way they were
            ;; meant to with `object-print' and `class-name'
            (defalias 'edebug-prin1-to-string 'cedet-edebug-prin1-to-string)
            ;; Add a fancy binding into EDEBUG's keymap for ADEBUG.
            (define-key edebug-mode-map "A" 'data-debug-edebug-expr)
            ))

;;; DEBUG MODE TOO
;; This seems like as good a place as any to stick this hack.
;;;###autoload
(add-hook 'debugger-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (require 'cedet-edebug)
            ;; Add a fancy binding into the debug mode map for ADEBUG.
            (define-key debugger-mode-map "A" 'data-debug-edebug-expr)
            ))

(provide 'cedet-edebug)

;;; cedet-edebug.el ends here

----------------

Here is a sample of usage in eieio.el

(eval-after-load "cedet-edebug"
  '(progn
     (cedet-edebug-add-print-override '(class-p object) '(class-name object) )
     (cedet-edebug-add-print-override '(object-p object) '(object-print object)
)
     (cedet-edebug-add-print-override '(and (listp object)
                                            (or (class-p (car object))
(object-p (car object))))