Re: A simple implementation of context-sensitive keys

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A simple implementation of context-sensitive keys
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:44:14 -0400

>> I hope we can do better than that, i.e. come up with a way to do
>> something like what you proposed, but still have where-is, C-h k,
>> etc... take it into account.
> I am starting to wonder whether this is the right way to go.

I'm not sure it is either.

> There is no notion in where-is, C-h k, etc that there is any key binding
> conflict. There is no easy way for users to reorder minor-mode-map-alist.

The problem is a lot more general than conflicts between minor modes.
There are things also like mouse-2 bindings that only work locally
(either implemented via `keymap' text-properties or by a normal binding
that checks a predicate and delegates to some other command if that
fails) where the various possible "conflicting" bindings can be spread
between minor modes, major modes and global bindings.

        Stefan