Re: set_window_buffer

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: set_window_buffer
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:23:21 +0200

>> IMHO we should mention it in NEWS.  I suppose a couple of applications
>> not distributed with Emacs might rely on the faulty behavior.
>
> I'd be really impressed if that's the case.

I probably can't impress you but in one routine I originally wrote for
Emacs 21 I found

;;; (defsubst set-window-buffer-only (window buffer &optional keep-margins)
;;;   "As `set-window-buffer' but don't change current buffer."
;;;   (let ((current-buffer (current-buffer)))
;;;     (set-window-buffer window buffer keep-margins)
;;;     (set-buffer current-buffer)))

so this already was a problem for me.  Later I apparently changed my
mind, used `set-window-buffer' instead, and had to fix this today again.
I recall a similar problem with `save-selected-window' which in certain
cases refused to restore the current buffer.

martin