Re: C-SPC C-<left> weirdness

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: C-SPC C-<left> weirdness
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:52:28 -0700

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm noticing that whenever I do the key sequence C-SPC, hold both
>> keys, then hit <left> multiple (at least three) times, the minibuffer
>> flashes rapidly with the messages "Mark deactivated" and "Mark
>> activated".  This is a regression that does not happen with my build
>> from Sep. 12.  The expectation is to keep the mark activated while
>> pressing <left>.
>
> Why would you continue to hold down C-SPC while hitting <left>?

It requires less coordination of finger movement.  Otherwise I'd have to
keep Control pressed and take the thumb off of SPC.

> If you hold down C-SPC, it's eventually going to start auto-repeating
> (which would yield flashing messages like you see), though I imagine
> <left> _should_ cause X to "cancel" the auto-repeat state of C-SPC
> (it does for me); if not, I guess that could be an X bug.

I guess the more precise description of the problem is that C-SPC
autorepeats when held down, and it shouldn't.  It didn't start doing
this until this week.  I'm going to try out the current HEAD code on
another machine today to see if it's just due to an upgrade of my home
machine.

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |