Re: Word wrapping and long lines

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Word wrapping and long lines
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 04:37:49 +0200

Miles Bader wrote:
>>> I do not know what to do about the barrier, but this takes care of the
>>> left margin.
>> But ... - why do you car about the barrier? I mean there is no new line
>> characters involved. The text is "floating".
>
> It's visually distracting.  I want the fringe to be exactly that -- a
> fringe, on the edge of the display, not in the middle of my window.
>
> I think the essential problem is that putting the margin areas on the
> opposite side of the fringe from the text was just kind of stupid in the
> first place.  I dunno why that was done...
>
> Given that almost no code seems to use the margins, I think it might be
> reasonable to change their locations without bothering about backward
> compatibility.

Yes, I can see what you mean.

I found another small problem. There is a confusion between buffer and
window margins here. The doc says that left-margin-width and dito right
may be nil. However they seem to be 0 by default, but when displaying a
buffer in a window then window-margins returns (nil).

This prevents using the buffer values in a meaningful way in code like
that I sent here.