Re: Need some help with Rmail/mbox

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Need some help with Rmail/mbox
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:58:49 -0400

>> That would mean Rmail/mbox will need to use another unibyte scratch
>> buffer for decoding MIME-encoded text: first qp- or b64-decode it into
>> another unibyte buffer, then decode-coding-region from there to the
>> (multibyte) display buffer.

> Since the output of qp- or b64-decode is unibyte (unlike
> decode-coding-region), we can reuse the same source buffer.

Actually, better not: the real source buffer is the actual mbox file
buffer, i.e. multi-megabyte and that shouldn't be changed unless you
really mean to.  I.e. you could do it in-place, but unless you want to
then save the mbox file back using "content-transfer-encoding: 8bit",
you'd have to be careful to undo the base64/qp decoding afterwards and
make sure that the buffer cannot be saved in the mean time.

        Stefan