Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:40:30 -0400

    The principal problem here is probably that Imenu should work across all
    chunks with the same major modes and preserve its chunk specifric values
    when moving between those chunks.

Imenu is much more complex than a typical minor mode.  I think it
would be useful to first look at simple cases such as Auto Fill mode.
Does Auto Fill mode work ok with mumamo now?

We should first look for a solution that enables Mumamo to DTRT
automatically with most minor modes.

If that is not possible, than let's look for way to make minor
mode definitions specify the info that mumamo needs.

Let's design this for maximum simplicity and cleanness of the minor
mode definitions, rather than for maximum power and flexibility.
I'd rather see a feature that does only what most minor modes need
and is very simple.

If Imenu needs something more complex, we could also have a second
feature which is more complex and less clean, and Imenu could use
that.