Re: find-file takes forever on slow network file systems and very deep d

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: find-file takes forever on slow network file systems and very deep directories
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:37:55 +0300

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:14:06 -0700
> From: "Andrzej Leszczynski" <address@hidden>
>
> >> Here are details: http://tinyurl.com/4o6q49
> >
> > Thanks.  Is it possible to add a trace from Emacs 21.3?  That'd give
> > us a clue where to look for the differences.
> >

> see attached (done on GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of
> 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO)

Thanks.  I cannot spot anything significant: the traces look almost
identical, and the code of the suspect function (emulated `stat') is
virtually the same, up until the point where the value of
w32-get-true-file-attributes is checked (the value of which you said
made no difference).

Previously you said that with Emacs 22.x, the number of file ops is
889, but I don't see so many ops in the trace you posted to the above
URL.  What am I missing?

I also don't see the 15-sec delay in the trace: both the trace from
Emacs 22.x and from 21.x show about 2-3 seconds between the first
syscall and the last.

Please help me understand the data.