Re: Yesterdays observation of lower left fringe

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Yesterdays observation of lower left fringe
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:51:34 +0200

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>

>> If we think of the ending newline as terminating the line then maybe
>> using a lower right corner for that and a lower left corner for the
>> "unterminated" line would be "more mnemonic".
>>

> You mean in different fringes for the two cases?  In one fringe, that
> would be plain ugly, spoiling the nice bracketing "[" effect for the
> common case.

My sense for this is more logical consistency. I think the symbol should
be the same whether they are shown to the right or the left.

And the symbols that fits together best with the initial upper left
corner here are the lower corners, left and right.

I can agree that "[" is a nice visual effect. But logically if we want
to distinguish between terminated and unterminated lines it more feels
like lower right is "more" terminating than lower left.

But I would not mind much switching that so that left lower corner is
for the normal case and right lower corner is for the "missing" new line
case.