Re: The source linke in the help buffer

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: The source linke in the help buffer
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:18:12 +0200

> The source link in the help buffer now includes th whole path. Is this
> the intention now?

It was _my_ intention in reaction to bug#587 you filed.

> What happened with the possibility to go to a checked out source file
> instead of the file in the installed elisp tree?

How would Emacs reliably know where the "checked out" file is?  Where
would you want to go after an update from the repository but before you
remade or recompiled?  And where would you want to go when you redefine
a function from a checked-out file and evaluated that definition?

If people think that's useful we can introduce variables like
`emacs-lisp-source-directory' and `emacs-C-source-directory' and have
help go find them there if these are non-nil.  We can also make an
optional, second link for this in the help-buffer, let `find-function'
use the same approach (obsoleting `find-function-C-source-directory'),
and many more.

martin