Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:50:00 -0400

    > If you show me a REAL case in which this is useful, that might convice me.

    When I wrote the majmodpri.el I had third party elisp files in mind.

If show us a real case involving third party Elisp files, we can
look at whether there is a problem, and if so what solutions may be
possible.

My hunch is that this is not the best solution for any case,
but until I see the cases, I cannot be sure.

    At least some of the php-mode.el
    varianst that are available does that; they bind .php to the php-mode
    the supply. This will then be the default major mode for .php files.

When we have a builtin php-mode (perhaps one that uses mumamo), we
will of course tell people they should modify those packages or stop
using them.

    This problem actually exists inside Emacs too. Today there are two major
    modes for editing XML files.

Why are both present?

Please say more about that situation, so I can think about what best
to do.