scroll-preserve-screen-position doesn't work in info pages and TeX mode

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: scroll-preserve-screen-position doesn't work in info pages and TeX mode
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:14:57 +0100

Excuse if I'm applying this list although I'm no developer.  I submitted the
matter to gnu.emacs.help but got no solution, and the problem is somehow
related to Emacs development.

The scroll-preserve-screen-position variable does not work when I'm in TeX mode
with chapters, subchapters and so on, which are displayed with bigger
characters.  Also, it fails in info pages.

When using scroll-in-place.el or pager.el (http://user.it.uu.se/~mic/pager.el),
point stays in place, but then it's the `next-screen-context-lines' variable
that fails.

It seems that it's not possible to make the two things work both.  What I wish
is that several `C-v' followed by the same numbers of `M-v' would put point
back in the same initial text place, but without loosing the
`next-screen-context-lines' mechanism.

Is it possible to achieve this?

Thanks for your attention and for any reply.
Rodolfo