Re: codepage.el removed

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: codepage.el removed
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:44:46 +0900

> I removed codepage.el from the Emacs CVS trunk.  However,
> gnus/mm-util.el still uses an obsolete function codepage-setup, which
> will now be unavailable.

> Please change mm-util.el to not use this function if it is
> unavailable.  There should be no need to use it in Emacs 23, since all
> cpNNN codepages exist by default, and don't need to be created.

Thank you for the info but we seem to have nothing to do.  For
the interactive use, Reiner has already changed `mm-codepage-setup'
so as to signal an error as:

`codepage-setup' is obsolete in this Emacs version

For the non-interactive use, i.e. the usage in `mm-charset-eval-alist',
`mm-charset-to-coding-system' that exclusively uses it will never call
`codepage-setup' since the charsets listed in `mm-charset-eval-alist'
by default don't need to be aliases.  Even if a user modifies the value
of `mm-charset-eval-alist' strangely, `mm-charset-to-coding-system'
will silently end up as follows:

(condition-case err
    (let ((mm-charset-eval-alist
           '((windoze-9999 . (mm-codepage-setup 9999 t)))))
      (mm-charset-to-coding-system 'windoze-9999))
  (error err))
 => nil

For a person who uses `mm-codepage-setup' in a custom function,
he will realize that it cannot be used soon.

Regards,