Re: japanese vs. chinese fonts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: japanese vs. chinese fonts
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:27:10 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>   address@hidden@5$A:Z(B-normal-normal-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
>
> Ummm, isn't that font listed by this command?
> % fc-list :lang=ja

Hmm, you're right it does... but it also matches :lang=zh ... the debian
package (ttf-wqy-zenhei) description says:

   "WenQuanYi Zen Hei" A Hei-Ti Style (sans-serif) Chinese font

The reason I don't want it is because some of the glyphs look "weird",
e.g., $B2=(B and address@hidden(B (not entirely unrecognizable, just ...
"weird").
It doesn't seem like a good default for japanese text to me.

The debian description also says:

    This font provides full coverage of GBK (CP936) charset, CJK Unified
    Ideographs, as well as the code-points needed for zh_CN, zh_SG,
    zh_TW, zh_HK, zh_MO, ja (Japanese) and ko (Korean) locales for
    fontconfig.

I guess it's the coverage which is why it matches :lang=ja (it also
matches :lang=zh, whereas the various japanese fonts I have installed
don't).

What does :lang really mean, anyway?

I guess for now I'll just un-install the font package, but I wonder if
this is something that needs addressing somehow?

-Miles

--
Idiot, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human
affairs has always been dominant and controlling.