Re: custom-deps and term subdir

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: custom-deps and term subdir
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:24:25 +0300

> From: Markus Rost <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Thu,  2 Oct 2008 07:01:37 +0200 (CEST)
>
> Eli wrote:
>
> > Markus, it's your change (although quite some time ago) -- do you
> > remember why you did that?
>
> At some time I had looked into this, but it seems that Gerd made that
> specific change:
>
> 2001-08-15  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>
>
>             * Makefile.in (finder_setwins): Renamed from
>                 nonobsolete_setwins.
>               Don't include term/.

That's not the change I was talking about.  I was talking about this
one:

  2002-11-20  Markus Rost  <address@hidden>

          * Makefile.in (setwins_almost): Renamed from finder_setwins.
          (custom-deps): Use it.
          (finder-data): Adjust to that name change.

This is where custom-deps started using setwins_almost.  Before that,
it was only used in finder-data (under a different name, but the name
is not what bothers me).

I can understand why finder-inf.el can live without the term
subdirectory: there should be no optional packages in there.  But
custom-deps is quite another matter, I think.

> For instance, in Emacs as of 2004-03-10 there were the following
> defcustom's in lisp/term/*:
>
> ./pc-win.el:176:(defcustom x-select-enable-clipboard t
> ./x-win.el:2106:(defcustom x-select-enable-clipboard nil

x-select-enable-clipboard is an important user option.  We shouldn't
miss it, I think.